The onset of a disability, whether sudden or gradual over time, can create a world of personal and financial worry. In addition to health costs, the potential for lost work income can quickly put a financially stable household in jeopardy. Fortunately, many disability insurance policies exist to offer aid in such moments of uncertainty and concern.
Along with social security disability payments, disability insurance can be an invaluable safety net during times of lost work. However, making a disability claim is not always as quick and simple a process as one might expect. A group disability policy has specific requirements that must be prepared for in detail before the claim is made.
In order to better your chance of being approved by a disability policy provider, we've collected some important but often unheeded advice for dealing with doctors, employers, and insurance companies:
• Collect and review all current medical records from at least the last three years
• Review your plan's description, if possible with the guidance of an attorney
• Have an official job description from your employer ready for questionnaires
• Have a conversation with the physician who knows you and your condition best. When that doctor fills out insurance paperwork, both of you will be on the same page
• Examine the definition and possible limitations of the term "disability" within your policy. Remember, being eligible for social security disability does not guarantee coverage from an insurer
Taking into account these preliminary steps can better secure a future disability insurance claim and the financial security one provides. Although the process may appear complicated, an attorney specializing in insurance law can help make each step involved much simpler, bettering your chance of a successful claim on the first filing. While working through a disability can be painful, securing insurance compensation doesn't have to be.
Source: The Legal Examiner, "Disability Insurance Claims - Before You File," Ben Glass, Nov. 30, 2012
Our practice in Miami and South Florida can help those who are having trouble navigating the steps of a disability claim, including the key elements mentioned above. For more help, visit the Long-Term Disability Claim page of our website.
Comments: Leave a comment